Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Zucchini

By the title you might think that zucchini makes me smile.  Nope. Zucchini itself doesn't make me smile.

A few years ago I taught classes to my church about using food you can store for long periods of time.  Things like wheat, powdered milk, beans etc.  I want to be prepared for emergencies, but I don't want the food just rotting so I learned how to use these foods. I enjoyed experimenting with them and teaching people to use them in every day cooking.

Well, one of the foods that I came across was diced, dried carrots. For quite awhile I had this challenge in my head of being able to teach a whole class using them in a way that people would actually like it.  I wanted to give a wicked little cackle every time I thought about it.  I don't know. I'm just weird like that sometimes.

I never did teach the class. It never felt right. There were more pressing needs.

Then this summer our garden started to flourish! OK, well the zucchini did. We have about 10 plants.

You might be thinking, "Are you crazy! Do you know how much zucchini you will get from that?"

And last year I would have to had said, "No" because we have not had luck with zucchini.  The first year we planted about 3 or 4 plants and we got 1 or 2 zucchini squashes.  The next year we planted more and got about the same.  We thought something must be wrong with us. People were actually sneaking zucchini and our porch and I was sad that I didn't know who did it because I would have begged for more.  We use a lot of zucchini throughout the year.

So now we are getting about 2 medium sized zucchini a day.  The stack was piling up and I was thinking that I needed to start grating and slicing and throwing it in the freezer.  Then I started seeing the zucchini recipes on Pinterest and another wicked idea formed in my head.  And it makes me smile.  Big.

So for the next little while I will be posting Zucchini a Day recipes that I got from Pinterest and letting y'all know what I think of them.  It isn't dried, diced carrots, but maybe someday I'll do something with that as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment